Wednesday 8 January 2020

New Year, New Plant!

Good Morning!
In today's post I thought I'd share with you a recent purchase for the garden.

Camellia x williamsii 'Jury's Yellow'
A compact evergreen shrub with green leathery leaves that produces medium sized, anemone-form white flowers with a yellow centre early in the year. 
Prefers a sheltered position out of strong winds and early morning sun, the emerging buds and flowers can be damaged from cold, strong winds and frost. Hardy down to -10 in the UK. 
The ultimate growing height of this plant in 10-20 years is 2.5-4 metres.
The pot is also a new addition as well ... Camellia's are acid loving plants so unfortunately this plant wouldn't do very well if it was planted into the ground in my garden. 
In brief, each garden has a soil ph level. Some will be Acidic, Neutral and some more Alkaline which means certain plants will either thrive or struggle in a particular condition. It's pretty simple to find out what you have by using a Soil Ph Test (available online or in Garden Centre's) and it's always worth knowing what you have.

Camellia's along with Rhododendrons and Heathers are Acid loving plants and my soil is Alkaline, however all is not lost! I can simply grow these plants in Containers using Ericaceous Compost. 
I made sure that I found a pot that was larger than the container the plant came in, added some crocks (broken up pots) to the bottom to aid drainage, then filled it 2 thirds high with the correct compost along with adding some slow release fertiliser. 
It's essential that you give container plants some extra feed due to them not being able to get as many nutrients compared to being planted in the ground. Slow release fertiliser will provide food for 6 months in the compost after which you can then switch to a liquid feed when appropriate.
I finished off by adding a layer of grit to the top of the compost, this helps to keep moisture in and reduces weed seedlings growing on the surface.

TIP - When selecting Plants from a Garden Centre ALWAYS check them over for any signs of Pests, Damage or Grey Mould. Also, tip the plant out of the container to check for healthy root growth and that there isn't any sign of Vine Weevil (see page tab 'Plant Pests for more info). If the plant you like is showing signs of these then it's best not to buy it at that moment in time.
The last thing you want is to introduce any pests or diseases to your garden which will not only reduce the quality of your new plant, often resulting in poor quality of growth and/or death. But they could also affect plants that you already have in your garden.
Photo of the Camellia Flower taken from the internet, I can't wait for the first one to bloom on the plant I purchased!

Thanks for stopping by,
HAPPY GARDENING!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that's so pretty. I'm sure it will look lovely. Our soil is terrible, barely anything but roses will grow in it so most of our plants we put in pots or raised beds. I'd love to plant some flowers from seed this year but I'm not sure where to start. Gardening is pretty new to me but I do like to have a go. I have succulents in the house but recently noticed they've gone a bit funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very grateful to Dr Dawn Acuna, for bringing back my husband who left me for another woman, that moment my husband Left me I thought I lost everything until a friend of my gave me Dr Dawn Acuna, WhatsApp contact, I messaged her and told her the pain I was going through so she told me that everything was going to be fine that if I have the faith and believe in her that the spell will surely work for me and my husband will surely come back home and she told me what to do, so those things were done and 48 hrs later my husband came back home begging for my forgiveness, am so happy and grateful to Dr Dawn Acuna, if you need her help contact her, she's accurate and sincere,
    * If you want spell to conceive.
    *If you want to get pregnant.
    * If you want to return your lover
    *If you want to cure any kind of sickness
    * If you need spell to get good job. *If you want to stop having miscarriage. And E.T.C. write her on email { dawnacuna314@gmail.com }
    WhatsApp: +2348032246310

    ReplyDelete