Wednesday 1 January 2020

A Warm Welcome Back!

Hello!
It's been almost 2 years since I last posted on this blog, unfortunately time got in the way of things but here's hoping this year I can find more time to write on here. Fingers crossed there's still someone that would like to read these posts! 
It's New Years Day so it seemed the perfect time to get this blog  going again ...

So, what do I have to share with you all? Well there was a little glimpse of Sunshine this morning for a few hours so I made the most of having the day off work and decided to take some photo's of the plants in my garden that are currently grabbing my attention ...

HELLEBORES
One of my favourite plants and they're invaluable in the garden during the Winter months. These are just starting to produce their flowers and it's always exciting waiting for their buds to burst open.
I have quite a few varieties in Pots and the Borders, the one's in the ground are the first to get going but the Pots are slowly waiting in the wings ...





TIP - Removed old foliage along with any that has black markings, this will reduce the spread of 'Blackspot' and also show off the emerging flowers more.

FOXGLOVES
Last year is sowed some Foxgloves, Digitalis 'Apricot', which were potted on into 2 litre pots. 
They are currently sitting on a table and will be planted out in the Spring. 
They were given a dusting of Frost this morning ...


SARCOCOCCA CONFUSA (CHRISTMAS BOX)
A Winter - Flowering Shrub that provides everygreen interest all year round, however at this time of year is when it really performs. It produces tiny white Flowers and black Berries, however don't let the size of the flowers confuse you ... the perfume is extremely strong and I can smell it a few metres away from where it's planted in a border near a bird bath. A welcome surprise when walking past! This shrub is about 5 years old and rather large however I also have a smaller version of it in a pot by the front door. That way I can smell the perfume when I go to and return from work!


PENSTEMON
Finally even though we've had Winter Weather and cold temperatures one of the Penstemons is still producing flowers. Not something you'd usually expect to see on New Year's Day!

Well I hope you've enjoyed today's post, I'l be back when I have more photo's along with sharing what I will be growing throughout the year ... here's to 2020!
HAPPY GARDENING!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back, Nat! I can't wait for the days to get longer and warmer...my garden is looking rather bare at the moment and a little untidy as I leave all the seed heads and leaves for the birds, until the Spring. Nice to see your Penstemon still flowering and the hellebores beginning to open, hopefully it won't be long before Mother Nature starts to awaken and the countryside comes to life...preferably without any snow in the mean time!
    Hope you find time in 2020 to fulfil your love of gardening and a Happy New Year to you too! Hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to get some nice plants for our garden, last year I came down with summer flu and tonsalitus around the time I normally buy flowers and it knocked me for nearly three weeks, by then I thought it was to late. But I'm hoping this year to get some nice flowers. We have to be so careful what with having dogs what we plant, so I'm not always sure. Your plants already look good. Gardening is something is like to get into, maybe this is the year?!
    Happy New year and look forward to reading more posts.

    ReplyDelete