Thursday 22 September 2016

Harrogate Autumn Flower Show ... Part 2!

Good Morning!
You may have noticed earlier this morning that this post went live with nothing in it! I thought I'd already typed it up but apparently not ... so here it is, better late than never lol
Here are the rest of my favourite photographs from last Saturdays visit to Harrogate Autumn Flower Show ... I wish I could go back and do it all again, roll on the Spring show !!!

First up is this statement plant which caught my attention straight away, 
I love the towering spikes and dark foliage.
Actaea simplex 'Brunette'

Following on with the theme of dark foliage is this lovely brown grass. Grasses are perfect for filling gaps in a garden, providing structure and contrasting leaf shape to flowers. 
They're also great for using in containers and hanging baskets!

The flowers and fruits on this Euonymous phellomanus (Spindle Tree) look fantastic.

Speaking of flowers this Gladiolus murielae is definitely one for the wish list!

Heucheras are definitely plants that have had to grow on me over the past couple of years, when I first started gardening I wasn't a fan but now I can't get enough of them! 
With such a variety of colours they're perfect for adding colour to a garden when there isn't much else going on and they're relatively easy to look after ... just keep an eye out for vine weevil!

This display of Hardy plants was one of my favourites simply for its naturalistic look.

Fuchsias aren't really a plant that I collect many of but the following variety may have to be purchased, the salmon spiky flowers are different to the usual blooms that you see.

Apart from the Clematis growing on my shed I haven't had much luck growing them, powdery mildew has always been a bit of an issue later in the growing season. However the blooms on the following variety are so teeny and delicate that it might be worth giving this one a go!

Clematis 'Fascination'

The colours on this Carnation were a muted mix of pink and green which contrast to what another onlooker described as 'mucky' I think makes them much more decorative, specially in a vase!

Outside the Plant Pavillion were more plant stalls including these two displays of a Dog and Witch's Hat decorated with Sempervivums! Definitely worth the effort!


Of course I couldn't forget the Veg, the decoration on these pods I think makes them worth growing just for decoration.

Finally you're probably wondering what I ended up buying? Well I was actually rather well behaved and only came away with a couple of Heucheras 'Brass Lantern' & 'Sugar Frosting' and my first Orchid, Phalaenopsis 'Mini Mark'. 
Although I may end up ordering a few of the plants photographed when I have the pennies!


Thanks for stopping by,
HAPPY GROWING!
XXX

1 comment:

  1. I too have grown to love Heucheras, Nat - I have a thing for foliage and anything 'a bit different'. I'm not sure on the dusky carnation though, it almost makes the flowers look as if they're going over. One day I will have a garden with large borders filled with plants...and a veg patch...and a greenhouse...but for now, it is more practical for it to be lawn and paving, and a giant trampoline! Oh well! Hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete